History at Silver Lake Mill
The mill at Silver Lake has been a center of community activity in Dayton, Virginia since 1822. Actively milling flour until 1996, the mill is now occupied by LDA Creations, Inc.(a custom gift decorator) and the Silver Lake Mill gift store. The mill was renovated in 2000-2001 for its new purpose, but much of the original structure structure has been saved or even renewed. The steel water wheel, circa 1910, has been cleaned, repainted and again turns as water from Silver Lake pours into the buckets of the wheel. The freight elevator, installed in 1920, is now used to move ceramic ware from floor to floor. The post and beam construction of the building is visible on all four levels of the mill.
For more information , including its involvement in the Civil War and ties to the Brethren community read a detailed history of our mill.
The mill is honored to be a part of the Virginia Civil War Trails and listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register.
The mill and lake were frequently the spot to have photographs taken, as evidenced by scrapbooks and yearbooks of students of the Shenandoah Valley Conservatory in Dayton. These ladies (above left) pose by the wheel in May 1910. This is the same wheel that currently turns at the mill.